LNG carriers test Iran blockade in Strait of Hormuz - FT中文网
登录×
电子邮件/用户名
密码
记住我
请输入邮箱和密码进行绑定操作:
请输入手机号码,通过短信验证(目前仅支持中国大陆地区的手机号):
请您阅读我们的用户注册协议隐私权保护政策,点击下方按钮即视为您接受。
商业快报

LNG carriers test Iran blockade in Strait of Hormuz

Pakistan cancelled plans to buy cargoes on spot market because it expected Gulf shipments to resume
00:00

{"text":[[{"start":9.5,"text":"Vessels carrying liquefied natural gas are attempting to run the gauntlet through the Strait of Hormuz, raising some buyers’ hopes that regular deliveries from the Gulf will resume."}],[{"start":20.25,"text":"At least two ships carrying liquefied natural gas from Abu Dhabi have sailed through the narrow waterway, according to ship-tracking data, despite the ongoing threat to merchant ships posed by Iran."}],[{"start":33.15,"text":"Two other carriers, laden with LNG from Qatar and heading for Pakistan, approached the strait before turning back. "}],[{"start":40.25,"text":"Pakistan cancelled plans to buy two cargoes on the spot market on Thursday, which two Pakistani petroleum ministry officials said was because Islamabad had expected shipments from Qatar through the waterway to resume."}],[{"start":52.9,"text":"The decision came shortly after Pakistan’s prime minister spoke to his Qatari counterpart on Thursday evening, one of the people said. Pakistan’s foreign minister Ishaq Dar also spoke with his Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi earlier that day."}],[{"start":68,"text":"While only two ships carrying LNG are known to have passed through the strait, others may attempt to do the same. An unusually large number of ships in the Gulf have turned off their transponders for extended periods, making their locations harder to track. "}],[{"start":82.85,"text":"Both ships carrying LNG from Abu Dhabi appear not to have been broadcasting their positions as they sailed through the Strait of Hormuz. An Abu Dhabi National Oil Company representative declined to comment on the passage of the ships."}],[{"start":94.75,"text":"Any resumption of shipping would be a boon for Pakistan, which ordinarily depends on Qatar for almost all of its LNG supplies, the source of up to a quarter of its electricity generation."}],[{"start":105.95,"text":"The abrupt halt to Qatari shipments when conflict erupted in the Middle East at the end of February caused immediate pain in Pakistan. Flows through the strait halted immediately as it became too unsafe for ships to pass, stymying manufacturing activities and causing rolling blackouts of up to seven hours per day throughout the country of 240mn."}],[{"start":126,"text":"While the attempts to sail through the strait — both successful and unsuccessful — are a source of hope to some buyers, a return to normal traffic levels would hinge on an agreement to end Iran’s blockade."}],[{"start":138.55,"text":"“It’s still early days and we’re talking about a handful of cargoes,” said Wood Mackenzie research analyst Fraser Carson. “Turning off positioning data for an extended period has seemingly allowed some LNG carriers to transit Hormuz undetected by Iranian authorities.”"}],[{"start":154.25,"text":"This was not a lasting solution and turning off transponders was a dangerous practice, he said. “It might facilitate the short-term trade of LNG to markets that are in urgent need of the molecules, but it is not a lasting solution that the industry can rely on.” "}],[{"start":169.25,"text":"Satellite imagery collated by Windward, a maritime intelligence agency, showed that nine merchant vessels were likely to have transited the strait on May 7 without switching on their AIS, the system that ships use to transmit their position to avoid collisions. No ships have passed through the strait with their AIS on for the past three days, according to ship tracking data, the first time this has happened since the war began."}],[{"start":195.25,"text":"While other countries have turned to alternative suppliers, Pakistan’s government initially shunned the spot market amid higher-than-usual prices and only bought one cargo in April. "}],[{"start":205.9,"text":"On Wednesday, it sought bids for two more cargoes and received offers. But Pakistani officials swiftly cancelled the process, citing conversations with senior Qatari and Iranian officials that indicated “good progress on Qatar vessel movement”, one of the officials said."}],[{"start":221.8,"text":"Islamabad remained optimistic that Qatari cargoes would soon be available even though attempts to pass through the strait on Thursday night were unsuccessful, the two Pakistani officials said."}],[{"start":232.65,"text":"Another person briefed on the situation said there was no movement on Qatari LNG, adding that even if a tanker got through the strait there would not be enough for Pakistan. "}],[{"start":241.55,"text":"Pakistan is leading efforts to mediate an end to the US-Israeli war on Iran, and has exchanged draft proposals between Washington and Tehran. "}],[{"start":250,"text":"Iran is weighing a one-page US proposal to end the war that includes among its provisions a “simultaneous” opening of the strait and lifting of the US naval blockade of Iranian ports, according to an Iranian and Pakistani diplomat. "}],[{"start":265.3,"text":"But there remained “deep distrust” that the US would abide by its side of the deal after President Donald Trump reneged on an earlier such proposal when Iran said in April that the strait was “completely open”, the Iranian diplomat said. "}],[{"start":278.45,"text":"Additional reporting by Andrew England and Alice Hancock in London"}],[{"start":290.65,"text":""}]],"url":"https://audio.ftcn.net.cn/album/a_1778287223_6953.mp3"}

版权声明:本文版权归FT中文网所有,未经允许任何单位或个人不得转载,复制或以任何其他方式使用本文全部或部分,侵权必究。

高盛击败大摩金牌顾问,斩获SpaceX上市第一大单

这位知名科技投行家在特朗普政府任职期间,失去了对马斯克这桩重磅上市交易的影响力

现代战争的血腥一如往昔

科技的进步并没有减少俄乌战争中的伤亡,武装无人机和AI正把前线变成险恶的杀戮地带,惨烈程度堪比一战。

帕拉贝利斯医药公司于与再生元达成交易次日披露IPO计划,上市热潮升温

成立已有十年且资金雄厚、从格雷格•维尔丁在哈佛实验室孵化出的“不可成药”生物技术公司——帕拉贝利斯医药公司,正寻求成为今年第12家进行首次公开募股的药物研发企业
22小时前

英伟达部署900亿美元助推AI繁荣

黄仁勋正成为依赖其芯片的AI相关公司的最大资助者之一。这些支出涉及逾145家公司,从AI模型开发商、云服务提供商到基础设施供应商不一而足。

Lex专栏:股市投资者信心爆棚,但现金见底

鉴于标普500指数高度依赖以人工智能为驱动的公司,股市出现小问题和大问题的可能性都很大。

FT社评:埃博拉疫情暴露全球应对大流行病准备不足

援助资金减少以及特朗普政府对全球公共卫生理念的敌意,正危及我们所有人。
设置字号×
最小
较小
默认
较大
最大
分享×