Elon Musk’s settlement with SEC raises ‘red flags’, judge says - FT中文网
登录×
电子邮件/用户名
密码
记住我
请输入邮箱和密码进行绑定操作:
请输入手机号码,通过短信验证(目前仅支持中国大陆地区的手机号):
请您阅读我们的用户注册协议隐私权保护政策,点击下方按钮即视为您接受。
商业快报

Elon Musk’s settlement with SEC raises ‘red flags’, judge says

Court refuses to ‘rubber stamp’ $1.5mn deal over Twitter stock disclosure
00:00

{"text":[[{"start":12.85,"text":"Elon Musk’s settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission raises “red flags”, a federal judge said on Wednesday, as she refused to immediately sign off a $1.5mn deal with the regulator for the billionaire to end a lawsuit over Twitter stock disclosures."}],[{"start":28.6,"text":"US district judge Sparkle Sooknanan said she would not “rubber stamp” the settlement and that aspects of the deal “raise red flags for me”, according to Bloomberg and other news reports. The settlement was agreed by the SEC and Musk’s trust earlier this month."}],[{"start":45.25,"text":"“Is Mr Musk getting some kind of special treatment in this case?” she asked."}],[{"start":50.55,"text":"Sooknanan also suggested Musk might have been seeking to avoid a finding against him by the court, and asked both sides to brief her again before she decides on the settlement."}],[{"start":60,"text":"The proposed settlement between the SEC and Musk, a major Donald Trump donor and former member of the administration, came after the agency showed leniency towards several figures and businesses with ties to the president. "}],[{"start":73.25,"text":"It has dismissed cases against crypto exchanges Coinbase and Kraken, both of which have donated to Trump."}],[{"start":79.55,"text":"Musk’s lawyers had previously disclosed that the SEC’s enforcement lawyers had not been “fully read in” on the settlement. Margaret Ryan, the regulator’s enforcement director, resigned days after that disclosure in March."}],[{"start":91.85,"text":"The SEC sued Musk, the world’s richest man, under Joe Biden’s administration in January 2025, days before Trump returned to the White House."}],[{"start":102.19999999999999,"text":"The regulator alleged he had waited 11 days too long to disclose his ownership stake in Twitter, as required by securities law, ahead of his attempt to acquire the social media platform."}],[{"start":112.85,"text":"The SEC said the delay allowed Musk to buy more than $500mn of additional shares at artificially low prices, underpaying sellers by at least $150mn."}],[{"start":124.8,"text":"On the day his stake was reported, Twitter shares rose more than 27 per cent. Musk ultimately purchased the platform, since renamed X, for $44bn in October 2022."}],[{"start":136.3,"text":"This month’s proposed settlement would have freed Musk of any further repercussions. People familiar with the discussions defended the deal, saying it was the largest sum ever proposed to settle a violation of Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act."}],[{"start":151.25,"text":"It was made possible by an unusual procedural step, in which the SEC amended its complaint to add Musk’s trust, through which the billionaire bought his Twitter shares in 2022, as a defendant. As part of the proposed deal, the trust would not need to acknowledge any wrongdoing, and Musk would face no personal penalties."}],[{"start":170.3,"text":"Musk’s lawyer Alex Spiro celebrated after he and the SEC submitted the settlement proposal earlier this month. “Elon won, and a trust entity took a small fine, without admitting anything, for being some days late on a filing,” he told the FT at the time. “Case closed.”"}],[{"start":185.60000000000002,"text":"Spiro did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday’s news."}],[{"start":191.75000000000003,"text":"In court papers, Musk had said the rules on disclosing share purchases were vague and also violated his First Amendment free speech rights."}],[{"start":199.90000000000003,"text":"Musk is facing a separate lawsuit from Twitter shareholders over the disclosure of share purchases that is working its way through a New York federal court."}],[{"start":209.15000000000003,"text":"This article has been amended to correct who agreed the settlement with Musk"}],[{"start":221.85000000000002,"text":""}]],"url":"https://audio.ftcn.net.cn/album/a_1778728861_7985.mp3"}

版权声明:本文版权归FT中文网所有,未经允许任何单位或个人不得转载,复制或以任何其他方式使用本文全部或部分,侵权必究。

现代战争的血腥一如往昔

科技的进步并没有减少俄乌战争中的伤亡,武装无人机和AI正把前线变成险恶的杀戮地带,惨烈程度堪比一战。

帕拉贝利斯医药公司于与再生元达成交易次日披露IPO计划,上市热潮升温

成立已有十年且资金雄厚、从格雷格•维尔丁在哈佛实验室孵化出的“不可成药”生物技术公司——帕拉贝利斯医药公司,正寻求成为今年第12家进行首次公开募股的药物研发企业
19小时前

英伟达部署900亿美元助推AI繁荣

黄仁勋正成为依赖其芯片的AI相关公司的最大资助者之一。这些支出涉及逾145家公司,从AI模型开发商、云服务提供商到基础设施供应商不一而足。

Lex专栏:股市投资者信心爆棚,但现金见底

鉴于标普500指数高度依赖以人工智能为驱动的公司,股市出现小问题和大问题的可能性都很大。

FT社评:埃博拉疫情暴露全球应对大流行病准备不足

援助资金减少以及特朗普政府对全球公共卫生理念的敌意,正危及我们所有人。

“四大”急聘AI专业人才,岗位数量盖过传统审计师

全球最大的几家会计师事务所正竞相适应颠覆性的技术变革。
设置字号×
最小
较小
默认
较大
最大
分享×